Friday, April 15, 2005

Other random thoughts for the day

I have now seen, in two different publications, front page blurbs on how "Fran Drescher is back!" Really? People are excited by this? What's going on here? Is Satan throwing snowballs?

Bet your radio doesn't do this: On XM's alternative channel, every time they play Modest Mouse's "Float On," they lead into it by playing "The World at Large," which essentially serves as a 4-minute intro. By the time that first song is over, you have your radio cranked so loud, people 3 blocks over can hear "I backed my car into a cop car the other day." Just great programming there, 8 full minutes of one band, and you'd never hear it that way on FM.

Speaking of alternative music, don't you think the band Seether should be a Veruca Salt tribute band?
I had this same thought about Godsmack a few years back in my college radio column, except with Godsmack it was actually true (not about Veruca Salt though). For those of you who haven't been stalking me since that column, I'll recap quickly: Godsmack's first album essentially was an Alice In Chains tribute album, but poorly disguised and passed off as actual music. It was sorely unoriginal, and the few tracks they didn't rip-off from AIC, they got from Nine Inch Nails.
If you look away from all that, and just take the record for what it is-- a band trying to make a rock album and not caring about originality-- it's a decent album to put on and zone out, like the background at a party. And what I caught of their live show last fall (they opened for Metallica, I was busy getting drunk across the street when Godsmack was playing, so I only saw about 20 minutes of their stuff) wasn't bad either.
But overall, they're a forgettable group. A 90's version of the 80's hair band scene. And Seether is a thousand times worse. I could write all day about this. I won't, though. Not today at least.

Lastly, I heard an Elastica song on the radio last week that wasn't "Connection." 100 bucks to the person that can name ANY Elastica song other than "Connection." I don't think it can be done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You've reached the bottom of the glass.
Check out the archives on the right side of the page for more.

All material Copyright © 2005 Brad C., sole publisher of this blog