Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Opie & Anthony

In case you're new to the blog, I am very intimately involved with XM radio. It governs my life. I am not ashamed of this fact.
I was a DJ/Promotions Manager/General Manager at my college radio station, and subsequently became a typecast music nerd, if I hadn't been one already (I'm pretty sure I had).
Pretty quickly after graduating, I got so sick of FM radio it made me prone to horrible fits of violence, and I have a hard time finding gainful employment to this day as a result.
I'm digressing...
XM, if you didn't know, is home to Opie & Anthony in the morning, whom you may remember from a few years back as the guys who got thrown off the air for pulling an on-air stunt that involved having sex in a church (between two listners, not O&A themselves). Still not ringing a bell? That's fine, it's not crucial to the post anyway.
O&A have been accused by Howard Stern of ripping off his act, and he has a point there. But then again, you can say that about pretty much every morning show out there right now (and Stern often does). But instead of brushing off the criticism, O&A talk about it constantly, and keep mentioning how Howard thinks they're ripping him off. They don't, mind you, defend themselves, they just attack Stern for doing it.
What? That's the strategy? That's like somebody trying to convince you they're over their last relationship by constantly reminding you just how over their last relationship they are (this struck a chord with me because I have a co-worker who takes this approach to her ex). It's horse shit, and it's transparent on anybody who tries it. If you're over it, you're over it and you move on. And if you haven't ripped off Howard Stern, you don't mention it and move on.

That being said, I still occasionally listen to and enjoy their show, so I'm not quite sure what that says about me.
And I have to hand it to O&A, they had what is probably the most amusing piece of ironic comedy, or iromedy, that I've heard in years. They have an audio clip of Howard Stern (the man himself, not an actor) announcing a promo for XM. Priceless. And if you can't figure out the irony in that statement, then you don't follow news about $500M contracts very well.

Of course, the other blinding irony about this situation is that O&A never would have signed with XM if they hadn't been already booted off the FM airwaves. And Stern never would have signed with Sirius if O&A hadn't already signed with XM (the difference in subscriber base between Sirius and XM is laughable).

And yes, I'm keeping the copyright on the word iromedy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You've reached the bottom of the glass.
Check out the archives on the right side of the page for more.

All material Copyright © 2005 Brad C., sole publisher of this blog