Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Straight From the Podium

Below is the transcript from the press conference that was given at 12PM on Tuesday, July 26th, 2005. Brad C., who is notoriously ornery with members of the media, took the podium to discuss recent developments.

Brad, is it true you've taken a new job?
Wow, you assholes just get right to the point, don't you? Yes, it's true. Yesterday [Monday] I accepted a job offer from a rival company. Better opportunity, better pay. Not that I was discontent with my current job, but I couldn't pass up the offer. Next question.

How much better pay?
I don't discuss finances with the media.

When do you start?
Late next month, after a planned vacation.

To where?
Don't worry about it.

What will that mean for the blog?
The hell should I know? I haven't started there yet, remember? It could mean less posting during the day, if they monitor their employees' internet usage. But I don't know yet.

Are there any other blog changes coming?
Well, on the advice -- possibly joking advice, but advice nonetheless-- of a few commenters, I added a countdown to hockey season in the upper right corner, just below Superman.

Do you have to update it every day?
No, I'm not that energetic. It's javascript code.

Is there any truth to the rumors concerning you and Mandy Moore?
I can't comment specifically on those, since I don't know which you're referencing. All I will confirm is that she is on my 'Top 5' list.

What do you think about Todd Bertuzzi?
I actually had a similar situation playing youth hockey a number of years ago. Look at it like this-- if you had said to Mr Bertuzzi before the game that if he hit that guy, he'd crack a few vertabrae and be out indefinitely, there's no way he would have made that hit. Bertuzzi wasn't trying to paralyze anybody, he was just sending a message -- "Don't fuck with my teammates." Most of the time, that situation ends harmlessly, and both players skate away no worse for the wear, so there was nothing wrong with trying to get a little revenge. Obviously, what happened that night was unfortunate, and Bertuzzi knows it. Yes, I agree tackling the guy was out of line, and for that he should be punished accordingly. Ideally, you hit him clean and ring his bell a little. That's part of any sport. Bertuzzi's intentions weren't wrong, but you'd like him to go about it differently. Assault charges are ridiculous. He's learned his lesson, and I see no reason not to let him back in the league when his time's up. He had every right to go after the guy, but not with a sucker-punch tackle. Protecting your guys is part of the NHL, but being a goon about it isn't, and that's what they need to stop.

In my situation, I tried to slash a guy's leg pad (heavily protected) but missed, and ended up hitting the side of his knee, taking him out. As soon as I realized what happened, I immediately called the ref over, trainers, coaches. I even followed the kid to his locker room and offered what help I could give. I wasn't trying to injure anybody, but that's the way it happened. I tried to send a message and I missed by a few inches. I was suspended for it. You learn that there's ways to go about certain things, and pulling an illegal stunt isn't one of them. It was stupid but I learned, and I haven't done anything remotely close to that since-- not to say I haven't rung a few bells, but you keep the cheap stuff out of it.

Look, it's a rough sport. Shit happens. Injuries happen. But Bertuzzi learned. So let's cut the guy some slack.

Best story in baseball right now?
Derrek Lee chasing the triple crown. Hope he pulls it off. He's a good guy.

Read any good books lately?
Glad you asked. I read two at a time. I'm still working on Robert Ludlum's The Bourne Supremacy. I read Identity after seeing the movie, but I'm not doing that with this one. The Bourne novels and the movies differ immensely-- and both are good. It's amazing that they pulled it off, but they did. Yeah, the plots are loosely similar-- Bourne wakes up, has no idea who he is, has to fight against a foolish government, you know the deal. But the book goes much further, and does an awesome job of it. So if you're looking for an exciting read, check those out, it's one series that the movie doesn't ruin.

I just finished Suzanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrel. Amazing. It's a tome-- just a shade under 800 pages-- and took me a few months to finish. But it's worth it. If you have the time and patience (it moves slowly through parts), it's an amazingly detailed historical fantasy set in early 19th century London, and all I'll say is that it involves two magicians. Her characters are intricately described and infinitely complex. The plot doesn't take many twists, there isn't a surprise ending, but it's enjoyable to get lost in her world for a while, and for that I recommend it. But be warned, this is definitely not a summer beach read. Take your time.

Do you have time for one last question?
Yes. And that was it. Good day to you all.

5 Comments:

At 7/26/2005 2:59 PM, Blogger Scott Garner said...

Another book for my wish list. Congrats on the new job, i hope to be posting a similar blog in the near future.

PS: You still up for helping me design a new template? I've got some art and some ideas. No rush, obviously you're in a transition period.

 
At 7/26/2005 3:05 PM, Blogger BJC said...

Alison,
No, strangely the question didn't come up.

Scott,
Which book, Bourne or Strange?
Either way, send over the ideas. Couldn't hurt to get started.

 
At 7/26/2005 4:46 PM, Blogger Stacie said...

Congrats on the new opportunities, hope it doesn't cut into blog time too much.

RE: Bertuzzi. Thank you for your view on that. Being an Avs fan I was calling for his head when it happened and can be very one sided about some issues. You've made some good points and I can see that side of the argument. It was a nasty situation all the way around and Moore took his punishment earlier in the game. I guess you leave it at that. I'm sure he'll be allowed to play again as well as that some fans will be in an uproar about it. But what's a little controversy?

 
At 7/26/2005 6:05 PM, Blogger michelle said...

I was at that game when Bertuzzi helped Moore to the ice. We were only about 3 rows from the ice so we saw everything unfold. Several times Moore had asked Granato not to put him out on the ice cause he had a bounty on his head but Granato ignored him. My daughter is a die hard Av's fan and I am a die hard CAnuck's fan so we have had quite a few arguements since the game but both agree that if the other team mates hadn't dog piled on Bertuzzi and Moore that the damage may have not been so severe. It's too bad it happened and hopefully it will never happen again.

 
At 7/27/2005 9:33 AM, Blogger BJC said...

I tried to look at Bertuzzi objectively, and it definitely helped that I'd been somewhat in his shoes. A lot of sports writers had a knee-jerk reaction to kick him out of the game, but saying that just means you don't know hockey.
Guys like Marty McSorely, Donald Brashear and Darien Hatcher pulled cheap shots far worse than what Bertuzzi did and for far worse reasons. Hell, Hatcher practically ended a guy's career (Pat LaFontaine).
But all those guys were allowed back after suspensions and the same goes for Bertuzzi. In hockey there's always room for enforcers, and like Stacie said, a little controversy never hurt anybody.
The NHL needs as much buzz as it can get right now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You've reached the bottom of the glass.
Check out the archives on the right side of the page for more.

All material Copyright © 2005 Brad C., sole publisher of this blog