Tuesday, July 12, 2005

All-Star News from Detroit

In case you missed Scott Rolen's press conference from St. Louis this weekend, here's the transcript:
"I want to first say what an honor it is to be selected to the All-Star team by the fans of this great game. It's a privilege which I truly appreciate, to be able to play the game I love and be recognized for it. It's overwhelming, and I'm very grateful. That being said, I would like to announce my withdrawal from the 2005 All-Star game in Detroit. Although I truly feel blessed to have been chosen by the fans, I feel that with my injuries and subsequent performance this season, I would be taking away a spot from a player who truly deserved it.

"I have spoken with Mr. LaRussa and we both agreed that there is a young player from Houston, who happens to play the same position as myself, who would be a better fit on the National League's squad. That player's name is Morgan Ensberg.

"I have not been influenced by anybody other than myself regarding this decision. I felt that it was the right thing to do. For me, for Morgan, and for the game of baseball. I can only wish that come 2006, I will be fortunate enough to have a chance to be selected once more. Again, I want to thank the fans of baseball, especially in St. Louis, for their tremendous support, but now I'm looking forward for a small break to rehabilitate my shoulder, in the hopes that I can help the Cardinals to another pennant in September.

"Thank you."


None of the articles about the decision, including this one, make any mention of the conference, however. Strange. Very strange......

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

You've reached the bottom of the glass.
Check out the archives on the right side of the page for more.

All material Copyright © 2005 Brad C., sole publisher of this blog