Monday, July 11, 2005

Some Thoughts on Beer

As you know, I'm a beer lover. For about a month, due to health reasons, I was unable to drink (no, nothing serious, just a little too much partying)-- at which time I became a narcotics lover, but that's a different post altogether (and you wonder why I don't use my last name). But now I'm back into the swing of things, and figured I'd share with you a few abstract thoughts on beer.

Timing is Everything
The summer months are good for drinking the lighter beers-- not that I'm advocating "light" beers, I couldn't do that with a straight face-- but I'm talking about the pale ales, the weiss (pronounced "vice" for all you rookies) beers and the IPAs. Especially the IPAs.

It's about the prime harvest season for hops, which, if you haven't been on a brewery tour or seen a cheesy Miller Light commercial, are one of the main components in beer. Basically, the more hops, the more bitter the beer. IPAs are loaded with hops, making for a more bitter, very nice summer beer. Better when served colder.

I say this because one of my friends, who knows better, made a crucial mistake on the 4th of July. He brought a 4-pack of a top-notch but very heavy dark ale made by the wonderful folks at the Dogfish Head Brewery in Delaware (Author's Note: This could be the only time you hear me mention anything ever coming out of Delaware). The stuff's called Immort Ale (clever, I know) and because of its gravity is better at warmer temperatures, usually out of a snifter glass-- not next to the hot dogs at a July BBQ. It went down more like an alcoholic maple and vanilla milkshake than a beer that day, and I was all too quick to follow it up with a half case of Miller Genuine Draft (a real 4th of July beer).

Moral of the story: Sometimes, the best beers are best saved for another occasion. Choose wisely. But seriously, check out the Dogfish Head selection sometime, if you ever get the chance.

Just Add Salt
I saw this done on Mythbusters and decided to pass it along. If you're out tailgating, or really any place where you need to keep cold beer in a cooler, try this: use a mixture of ice and water, and dump a whole bunch of regular old table salt into it. The salt melts the ice and lowers the melting point of the water (guess I should have payed attention in chemistry class), making it a solid 10 degrees cooler than a normal ice/water mix or even just ice. Now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

What's In My Fridge... for now
The Sam Adams brewmaster's 6-pack. If you can stomach the overly snotty TV ads, this beer's actually pretty decent for a commercial brew. Try the Black Lager. I also usually carry a 12-pack of High Life longnecks on hand, just in case.

Drink Responsibly
Remember, friends don't let friends drink Coors Light.


"You're drunk again!"
"No, I'm just exhausted 'cause I've been up all night drinking."
- Family Guy

4 Comments:

At 7/11/2005 10:45 PM, Blogger michelle said...

I want a post about the differences in beers from other countries...not that I like beer but I do like to wash my hair in it...

 
At 7/12/2005 9:00 AM, Blogger BJC said...

Hmm.... yeah, I can do that.

 
At 7/12/2005 3:28 PM, Blogger Scott Garner said...

Re: salt

That's why when making hommade ice cream, you need rock salt. It allows the hurn to move freely while still keeping the temperature cold enough to freeze your concotion.

 
At 7/12/2005 5:43 PM, Blogger BJC said...

Oh dear god no, I wish you didn't just say that.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You've reached the bottom of the glass.
Check out the archives on the right side of the page for more.

All material Copyright © 2005 Brad C., sole publisher of this blog