Sunday, November 13, 2005

Quick Sunday Notes

Some quick thoughts on Sunday's games. Post may be updated throughout the afternoon.

12:15 PM: I just came to the screeching realization that my fantasy team was starting two Miami Dolphins this week. That was quickly remedied.

12:40 PM: I think all female sportscasters can take a lesson from Pam Oliver. As I was suffering through a typically brutal performance by the FOX pre-game show (Terry Bradshaw makes me vomit in my mouth), they cut away to Oliver's report on the Chicago Bears.
Oliver was interviewing defensive coordinator Ron Rivera, a member of the famous shuffling '85 Super Bowl champs, and asked him about what he learned from his various coaches. Rivera rattled off a few names and what they meant to him, nothing groundbreaking. When he was finished, Oliver asks, "Did you accidentally leave out Buddy Ryan?"
Rivera pauses, smiles and replies, "No."
High comedy.
See, this tells me two things: 1) Pam Oliver knows her football damn well and 2) She's not afraid to ask good interview questions. That question was amazing. It was perfect. I was in awe.
Later, she asks head coach Lovie Smith, in sort of a backhanded insulting kind of way, whether his Super Bowl hopes were realistic. Had him on his heels, at least for a second. Again, great question.
The problem with most female sports reporters is that they're there simply for curb appeal. How many times can you say you've heard actual information come out of their mouths? Like when a linebacker goes down with a blown knee, the announcers go to the sidelines just to hear, "Well, Al, it looks like Smith really hurt his knee on that play. But he did get up and walk off the field." Oh, really? Thanks. Because I didn't just see that. Thank you so much for that insight.
In interviews, you'll hear the whole book of lame cliches, such as, "Coach, how much does this win mean to you?" and "Did you need extra motivation for this game?" It's aggravating. Either everybody knows the answer or nobody cares, and the coaches are usually condescendingly dismissive, and with good reason. They suck.
So kudos to Pam. And that's sincere. Maybe networks can take a lesson from her. You know, a lesson like, maybe you should hire a reporter based on talent, not just her ability to repeat vacant observations.

2:30 PM: Brian Baldinger, the FOX color commentator for the Giants - Vikings game, is truly awful. Just wretched.
Baldinger on the Vikes offense in the first half: "They haven't even attempted a pass downfield." Actually, Brian, they had several attempts. One of the Giants even got injured on a play. You said something lame at the time. Really, you were there. I swear.
Baldinger on Koren Robinson: "Nobody has ever questioned his talent." Really, Brian? You mean, after dropping all those passes in Seattle to the point that he was run out of town? Nobody questioned him then? Interesting.

3:14 PM: I waffled at about noon today on whether to start Corey Dillon or Ronnie Brown on my fantasy team. I went with Brown. Dillon was injured on the first play of the game and hasn't returned. Phew.

4:30 PM: Just an update on my earlier malaise on starting two Dolphins today. Apparently I was wrong, since Chris Chambers (on my bench this week) had 70 yards and two scores. Can somebody please tell Gus Frerotte to send out a memo when he's about to do something like this? Some weeks the guy plays left-handed, and other weeks he does this. Jackass.

2 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 5:32 PM, Blogger BJC said...

I could understand if they get torched by a Peyton Manning or a reasonable facsimile thereof, but Gus Frerotte? I mean... I don't know what I mean. It's sad.

 
At 11/14/2005 5:33 PM, Blogger BJC said...

And should I ask why you were called 'Terry', Alison?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You've reached the bottom of the glass.
Check out the archives on the right side of the page for more.

All material Copyright © 2005 Brad C., sole publisher of this blog