Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Stout-Lager - a.k.a. "The Beer Article"

Right, so in some of the e-mails I've been getting (always feel free to write, my address is at the top of the page), people ask "Why 'stoutlager'?"
Simple, really. More so if you're a beer fan.
One of the great aesthetic beauties in alcohol consumption is a properly poured Black & Tan, also in some areas called a Half & Half (although I'd think that would be confused with coffee creamer, but I digress).
There's a good article about it here.
In essence, a Black & Tan is a stout (thick dark beer, commonly Guinness) poured over a lager (lighter beer, Harp is common). The result is a black beer over a tan one, and there you have it.

Where can I get a Black & Tan?
Any good brewpub or tavern will make one for you. Some even have a special spoon for it. If you're not really into that scene (i.e. you're a woman), you can find one in the bottle: Saranac, Yuengling, and McSorley's all have decent brews available.
Myself, I'm a beer drinker. That means I don't drink Coors Light (not actual beer).

So are you one of those beer snobs?
Hell no. Just no Coors. Bud is fine, and I'm partial to Miller High Life (it's a college thing). I'm also a big fan of Labatts. You can appreciate a wider variety of choice without being snobbish towards one kind. Unless it's Coors Light.

What's the best beer you've had?
Ever? Who knows, I was probably drunk. My favorite draught beer is Smithwicks, from Ireland. Also, anything from the Rogue brewery (in Oregon) is gold-- they actually had chef Morimoto (from the Iron Chef) guest-brew a few of their beers. Come on, doesn't get much cooler than that. I'm actually surprised none of the mass-producers (A-Busch, Coors, Molson) has tried that move yet ("Budweiser Select -- Emerill spit in every 6-pack!")

I'm inclined to write a lot more about beer, my only real vice other than women and gambling, but for now I'll leave you with one line of advice: Real men don't drink Corona.

"Lois, everybody has their sanctuary-- Catholics have churches, fat people have Wisconsin, and I have the Pawtucket brewery." - Peter Griffin, Family Guy

2 Comments:

At 4/04/2005 12:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually Brad, a black and tan is technically guinness and bass ale, while a half and half is guinness and harps. Not that I'm being a beer snob or anything.

 
At 4/04/2005 12:40 PM, Blogger BJC said...

sounds like the work of a coors light fan...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

You've reached the bottom of the glass.
Check out the archives on the right side of the page for more.

All material Copyright © 2005 Brad C., sole publisher of this blog